Powerful Learning Experiences
Here are some of the experiences that managers felt
had most affected their
learning and development during outdoor management development courses.
Management Learning and Development
Click headings for more details.
top of page
- EXPERIENCES OF
- Her main learning experiences seemed painful and
lonely such as
when she was feeling incapable as cox of the team boat. She was
gaining insights into what it can be like to be a poorly managed
- STEPPING BACK,
TAKING A LOOK, SLOWING DOWN
- He was learning to use his adrenaline in a controlled
tension between 'free-flowing' action and pausing to reflect is
never fully resolved, and leaves some contradictions within his
- GETTING IN TOUCH
AND IN TUNE
- He became 'passionately involved' in individual
prompting him to seek ways of getting more personally involved in
projects at work, and of getting a better balance between work,
family and his individual interests.
- She describes three different kinds of experience.
Each of them
were initially unfamiliar and uncomfortable experiences, but she
managed to derive some satisfaction and learning from each of
- BEING CREATIVE
- He enjoyed the space and opportunity, without
indulge in group creative activity. This reminded him of the
importance of getting 'back to basics' and getting basic working
- TAKING THE FIRST
- His personal achievement of a ropes course challenge,
he found to
be full of meaning and messages about coping with change at work.
Once one metaphorical link was made, others readily fell into
EXPERIENCES IN A SAFE ENVIRONMENT
- Personal achievements confirmed his belief that
in the mind'. In group tasks, he was interfering with the
responsibilities of others, partly because he was wanting to
achieve to a higher standard.
- A DRAMATIC
EXPERIENCE WITH VIVID IMAGES
- She was learning about ways of using support in risky
She was particularly interested in learning processes, and in
different levels of learning. She found that she was becoming
- LETTING GO AND
- As leader of a major project, he made full use of
opportunity to experiment with a more flexible style of
leadership. Experiences of group synergy and achievement left him
refreshed as if he had been in a sauna.
- ANOTHER WORLD
- She enjoyed meeting managers from industry. She was
interested in this approach to experiential learning, both as an
approach to management development and in its potential
applications in primary school.
- A POWERFUL GROUP
- His experience as the leader of a project made him
develop a more consultative style. He was very pleased with the
fact that the group took on responsibility for organising and
facilitating learning for each other.
- QUIET FACILITATION OF THE TEAM
- He enjoyed quietly supporting others, and sorting out
pre-empting conflicts. Like others in the group, he was dedicated
to achieving team tasks. It made him hopeful, but unsure about
how to tackle issues at work.
top of page
Powerful Learning Experiences: extracts on this site
FINDINGS (from the 12 interviews)
GROUPS OF STORIES (from the 12 interviews)
THEMES (found in the 12 interviews)
STORIES (3 line summaries of each interview)
MANAGER'S STORY (extract from one interview)
- INTERVIEW INDEX
(this page) INTERVIEWS